Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Should We Think of Others?

This is one of the latest issue got in my head.... I was asked to get the pictures of some speakers who were invited in a talk show. The person who asked me said the pictures were so important coz they would be sent to a national newspaper. SO, I have to get a very best picture of the last memorable moment NO MATTER WHAT.

...what a life of a journo...

Well, I did try my best. I stood by a few moments before and got ready to take shots with my camera. Somehow, there were some people who might be assistants of the speakers who were also asked to get the pics of their bosses. They might say it's for their documentation, but I would likely say it as a narcissism. But what annoyed me was those assistants took the pic, half meter of the stage! I was like 2 meters away and I got to find a good spot to take this so-called important-as-hell pictures. Then, I moved forward to get 1 meter closer, then a colleague from community TV walked a few steps and stood before me! I was like, omg, do you have brain?

Then, I maneuvered that TV guy and stood before him and it was looked kinda wrestling-scene from distance. Wrestled for a memorable moment to be photographed. Oh, dear...

After that scene was over, I talked to some of my seniors in the newsroom. I said to them, I tried to understand that the TV guy wanted to take pics too, so I gave him a space, yet he didn't do the same. He was like the unthoughtful speakers' assistants. One of my speakers said, "when you consider others', those people probably might not consider anything for you." 

I jumped in and said, "I don't care if people don't have hearts. What's important is that I DO have heart." I would try my best to get the pictures without abusing others' rights to do or to get what they want  and need to do. For me, if people think the same like my senior, then, this world is just....screwed. Everyone starts problem by being annoying to others and no one will try to understand and hold back their ego.

What I wanna tell you is... that this senior of mind is kinda my campus' pride. Could you believe such person favoured person think like that? And don't forget that mostly Indo would claim that they have the culture which always prioritize others first (or it can't be applied in Journalism practices?) and I often got critized for being to individualist. They said I was like a westerner. Do westerners think of themselves only? I don't think so. In this case, me, who was claimed as one, do think of others, instead of the Indo who claim the culture bla-bla-bla and don't exactly think of others. Could we say cultural mispractices?

Don't say that I'm being judgemental. I am being judgemental.. why? These people like to judge me and I think I deserve to judge them back with their fake culture claim. 

Let's forget the fact that our kindness could be used by others as the result of giving too much for people's goodness. One experience of mine was I was in hurry but I took some time to help a woman on the way to school. She was walking with crutch. All she wanted from me was to help her hand her money to a public transport driver. I did it and she was going to go across the road. And I offered to take her to the opposite road. It wasn't much far. Before she said yes, she refused coz I was looked in hurry. Then I insisted that it would be ok. I couldn't just let her go through the herds of motorcycles, cars, trucks and all, alone...with crutch. After I helped her, she said thank you. THANK YOU. Short phrase of two words that has a big meaning to me. Big meaning... too big... just for my simple help. Somehow, I didn't get anything, but only a huge happiness that I gained (and don't know why I could gain, as I spent my small time for her). 

Lastly, she said, "God bless you! Success for your school and work" It was more than anything else. I didn't expect that such support. Those words were really kind. Especially, it comes to the right time, when I was having a spiritual crisis.

It is true that we have to know and be wise knowing and deciding what's first. But prioritizing others' goodness isn't that bad, you know...

...what happens in my bedroom, stays in my bedroom...

1 comment:

  1. Hi! nice blog! I'm your new follower from book blogs, I'm following in google and networkedblog, stop by and check out my blog at:
    http://lupdilup-hotlistens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! You're most welcome to leave some of your loveable words...